Residential Volunteer Program for Women
Sacred Heart Monastery’s Residential Volunteer Program for Single Women
The Residential Volunteer Program (Sponsored by the Yankton Benedictines) provides single women (55 and under) with several opportunities to enhance their lives. The program includes sharing in the life, prayer, and ministries of the Monastery. Come explore! The official welcome is the blessing ceremony with the Sacred Heart Monastery Community. Then you enter into the Benedictine balance of Ora et Labora – Pray and Work. And we play! Participate in Sacred Heart Monastery’s happenings and local events! Create your own custom schedule. Discover Sacred Heart Monastery’s Residential Volunteer Program by calling or emailing S. Bonita at email@example.com 605-760-2741.
Please fill in this online application form listed below (All information confidential). All required steps for applicants listed below. If you have any questions regarding the form contact contact S. Bonita Gacnik OSB, Program Director –firstname.lastname@example.org – 605-760-2741
Pictured are some of our previous and current volunteers!
Scenery and Attractions
Sacred Heart Monastery is situated on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River. The monastery grounds feature a wealth of flower gardens, a small vineyard, apple orchard and monastery vegetable garden in one area. Other areas of relaxing include the contemplative walking paths and the monastery cemetery. A biking/walking path connects the Monastery to the Lewis and Clark Resort and Recreation Area. This area features hiking/biking paths, camping grounds, fishing, swimming, sandy beaches and more. Come and explore our incredible setting as a Resident Volunteer!
Residential Volunteer Program Blog
by Theresa McGinn | December 30, 2016 | Residential Volunteer Program The Christmas Season with a New Year following is the natural time to reflect on your past year. Many years I have looked back on my year, thanked God tremendously for helping me survive it, and...
Residential Volunteer Elizabeth Donner
What did you enjoy about volunteering with the Sisters of Sacred Heart Monastery?
“The generosity of Spirit, the JOY in helping, the stories and kindness, the smiles, and expression of thankfulness.”
Recent Blog Posts
Heard of us?
Are You a Woman Who
- Is looking for a meaningful work experience that enriches others?
- Is pursuing your education but in need of a break from the books in order to re-focus and re-direct your education?
- Has thought about religious life and would like to live with our Monastic Community for a period of time?
Maybe there is a different scenario that you find yourself in? Our goal is to provide an opportunity for you to serve others while discovering more about yourself and the sisterhood. If so, maybe we can help you.
What do we look for in a volunteer?
- Enjoys serving others and enjoys the mutual enrichment of a religious monastic community
- Is 21 years of age or older (or at least a junior in college) without dependents,
- Is in good physical health,
- Will be responsible for personal expenses (room and board are provided),
- Will provide for own financial, medical and personal needs,
- Has a willingness to commit to a specific period of time (3-12 months) Commitments may be renewed annually.
- Will work around 30 hours a week (4-6 hours/day)
- Option of working in another location locally part-time up to 20/hr per week.
- Fill out application.
Applicants are asked to
- provide contact information for two references (non-family members), a spiritual director or pastor and a supervisor or faculty member,
- provide a release for a background check, and
- participate in a Skype or telephone interview prior to acceptance into the program.
- Participation in daily Eucharist and Liturgy of the Hours.
- Opportunities for spiritual growth (e.g., days of prayer and recollection, spiritual direction if desired, and time for personal prayer).
- Opportunities to attend music, theatre, sporting events, and lectures at the Monastery and at Mount Marty College.
- Includes a stipend
- Private rooms in an area reserved for Resident Volunteers.
- Share meals with the Sisters in the Monastery refectory (dining room).
- Enjoy interaction and leisure activities with the other Volunteers and the Sisters.
- Experience nature. We have great outdoors to explore.
Can you picture yourself here?
Would you like to know more about a Residential Volunteer experience? Click on the brief video below. The video may be some of the same questions you are asking yourself! For other videos visit out Benedictine Buzz page. Do we have other videos featuring our Residential Volunteers? Yes we do, please click on Residential Volunteers.
“We invite you to become part of our Residential Volunteer Program, a committed group of women working to preserve the natural and spiritual environment that makes Sacred Heart Monastery special.”
Sacred Heart Monastery is a tobacco-free campus.
Vocations — Join us!
Find out what it takes to be ONE HEART in loving Jesus, your Sisters, and the world.
Program Brochure & Quick View PDF
Access information on the business community site Linked-In, join the network for likes, comments, and shares and add your own! Simply go to the search bar and type Residential Volunteer Program, Yankton SD.
Read a feature article about the program. Yankton Press and Dakotan
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Elisabeth Donner. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Bridgette Belluchi. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Katie Adam. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Theresa McGinn. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about the program. Siouxland Women
Read a feature article about the program. South Dakota Magazine