Our History -Roots and Growth
The Yankton Benedictines trace their roots to St. Benedict who founded the Benedictine way of life at Monte Cassino, Italy in the 5th century. The Rule of St. Benedict has as its core community life with a balance of work and prayer. From there Benedictines spread throughout the world including Switzerland and the community of Maria Rickenbach. In 1874, five sisters from Maria Rickenbach came to Maryville, Missouri. Out of this mission grew the beginning of Sacred Heart Monastery in 1880.
Bishop Martin Marty OSB, the Vicar Apostolic of Dakota Territory, soon visited the young community and asked the sisters to assist him in ministering to the Native American people at Fort Yates on the Standing Rock Reservation in present-day North and South Dakota. Because of the distance from Missouri to Fort Yates, the sisters moved the motherhouse to Zell, South Dakota, and in 1889 relocated to the bluffs of the Missouri River in Yankton where the sisters purchased an empty school building adjacent to Bishop Marty’s residence.
Here in Yankton there currently are 81 members who live a community life according to the Rule of St. Benedict. The Benedictine Sisters of Yankton serve the people of the area in a variety of ministries including education, health care, parish ministry, social services, retreats, and numerous of volunteer activities. The Sisters sponsor Mount Marty College in Yankton, and together with the Presentation Sisters of Aberdeen, SD, sponsor Avera Health, a multi-state health care system.
Look at archive news about our Sisters.
View The Monastery on the Missouri — an article from South Dakota Magazine.
Download our Call of the Prairie | History of Our Community Presentation.
Vocations — Join us!
Find out what it takes to be ONE HEART in loving Jesus, your Sisters, and the world.