Volunteer Sacred Heart Monastery
Employment/Volunteer at Sacred Heart Monastery
The Sisters welcome volunteers to assist them with their monastery services. No volunteer opportunities available at this time. No paid opportunities available at this time. For inquires and questions. Volunteer Sacred Heart Monastery and find an option that works for you!
Volunteer Sacred Heart Monastery
Current Mount Marty Student | Volunteer Sacred Heart Monastery
Matthew Jirele a Mount Marty Student is fulfilling a service project with one of his classes. Here he is pictured with S. Aidan helping her with Archival information.
- Sister Phyllis Hunhoff, Volunteer Coordinator for Day Volunteers
Do you wish to take Volunteering a step further?
Contact Residential Volunteer Director - S. Bonita Gacnik
Residential Volunteer Program Off to a Great Start
Sacred Heart Monastery launched its Residential Volunteer Program during the fall of 2015. We welcomed our first Residential Volunteer in October, 2015. Since that time, 4 more Residential Volunteers have joined the program. Our first volunteer, Susan (arrived in October and left in December), is a dentist from Louisiana, our second volunteer, Theresa (arrived in March, 2016, and plans to volunteer for a year), is a former elementary school teacher from Florida; our third volunteer, Katie (arrived the middle of June and will volunteer for 3 months) is a senior at Mount Marty College majoring in elementary education; our fourth volunteer, Elisabeth (arrived in June and will be here for 3 months), was a project analyst with the state of Washington; and our fifth volunteer, Bridgette (arrive in early June and will stay for 6 weeks), works with special needs children and is from Nebraska.
Sister Bonita, director of the Residential Volunteer Program, was to the Monastic Community, and Sister Penny, Prioress of Sacred Heart Monastery, lead the Sisters in prayer and a blessing to formally welcome each volunteer.
The Residential Volunteer Program provides an opportunity for enrichment, not only for the volunteers, but also for the Sisters. The Sisters look forward to sharing times of prayer, ministry, and recreation with the Residential Volunteers. While volunteering at the monastery, the historic home of Bishop Martin Marty on the Sisters’ Monastery campus is the initial residence for volunteers participating in the program. The volunteers join the sisters at Liturgy of the Hours, Mass, and meals, and work 20 to 30 hours each week assisting with the daily tasks of the Monastery.S. Bonita Gacnik
Heard of us?
Are You a Woman Who
- Is looking for a meaningful work experience that enriches others?
- Is pursuing your education but in need of a break from the books in order to re-focus and re-direct your education?
- Has thought about religious life and would like to live with our Monastic Community for a period of time?
Maybe there is a different scenario that you find yourself in? Our goal is to provide an opportunity for you to serve others while discovering more about yourself and the sisterhood. If so, maybe we can help you.
What do we look for in a volunteer?
- Enjoys serving others and enjoys the mutual enrichment of a religious monastic community
- Is 21 years of age or older (or at least a junior in college) without dependents,
- Is in good physical health,
- Will be responsible for personal expenses (room and board are provided),
- Will provide for own financial, medical and personal needs,
- Has a willingness to commit to a specific period of time (1-12 months) Commitments are renewed annually.
- Will work around 30 hours a week (4-6 hours/day)
- Option of working in another location locally part-time up to 20/hr per week.
- Fill out application.
- Participation in daily Eucharist and Liturgy of the Hours.
- Opportunities for spiritual growth (e.g., days of prayer and recollection, spiritual direction if desired, and time for personal prayer).
- Opportunities to attend music, theatre, sporting events, and lectures at the Monastery and at Mount Marty College.
- Includes a stipend
- Private rooms in an area reserved for Resident Volunteers.
- Share meals with the Sisters in the Monastery refectory (dining room).
- Enjoy interaction and leisure activities with the other Volunteers and the Sisters.
- Experience nature. We have great outdoors to explore.
Can you picture yourself here?
Would you like to know more about a Residential Volunteer experience? Click on the brief video below, It may be some of the same questions you are asking yourself! For other videos visit out Benedictine Buzz page. Do we have other videos featuring our Residential Volunteers? Yes we do, please click on Residential Volunteers.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lil58ObafBw” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Vocations — Join us!
Find out what it takes to be ONE HEART in loving Jesus, your Sisters, and the world.
Sister Bonita, director of the Residential Volunteer Program, and Sister Penny, Prioress of Sacred Heart Monastery, lead the Sisters in prayer and a blessing to formally welcome each volunteer. From left to right are the Volunteers that who are/have recently participated in the program: Theresa McGinn, Bridgette Belluchi, Elisabeth Donner, Katie Adam, Kim Mosqueda, and Susan Bell.
The Residential Volunteer Program provides an opportunity for enrichment, not only for the volunteers, but also for the Sisters.
Program Brochure & Quick View PDF
Read a feature article about the program. Yankton Press and Dakotan
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Elisabeth Donner. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Bridgette Belluchi. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Katie Adam. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about Residential Volunteer Theresa McGinn. Yankton Press and Dakotan (2016)
Read a feature article about the program. Siouxland Women
Read a feature article about the program. South Dakota Magazine